A message from the Billerica Fire Prevention Bureau –
The Massachusetts State Fire Code & Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows outdoor recreational and cooking fires provided the following conditions are met:
- The fire and smoke must not pose a hazard to any property.
- The smoke must not create a nuisance or health hazard in the neighborhood.
- A hose or fire extinguisher capable of extinguishing the fire must be within 25 feet of the fire.
- Only ordinary firewood may be burned. NO trash, preservative-treated wood, plywood, leaves, hazardous waste, construction debris, or chemicals may be burned at any time.
- The chiminea, outdoor fireplace, or fire pit must be on a non-combustible surface and must not be under any type of overhang, roof, or canopy. It must be at least 25 feet from any combustible wall or other combustible material.
- A competent adult must be in attendance at all times.
Please remember that any fire should always be considered a hazard to curious children.
A permit is not required, but we do recommend you notify us of your fire by calling 978-671-0940. If the fire department is called to your home for any type of outside fire, we reserve the right to extinguish or order any fire be extinguished at the fire officer’s discretion.