The Billerica Fire Department would like to remind you that when Daylight Savings Time arrives on March 13, 2016 and you change your clock, please also remember to change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms. Please remember that even hardwired detectors need fresh batteries! These detectors depend on battery power to sound properly during critical events such as power outages and fires in which electrical breakers may trip!
The Epidemic of Liquid and Steam Burns
Children and Older Adults Most At-Risk
Each year, over 450,000 burn injuries occur in the United States that are serious enough to require medical treatment. Between 2007 and 2013, the proportion of burn center admissions due to scald burns increased from 29.8% to 33.7%.
Join us in the fight to prevent severe burn and scald injuries!
Tips to Stay Safe
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees F/48 degrees C or just below the medium setting.
- Use a thermometer to test the water coming out of your bath water tap.
- Run your hand through bath water to test for hot spots.
- Use back burners and turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so children cannot pull them down.
- Use oven mitts when cooking or handling hot food and drinks.
- Stir and test food cooked in the microwave before serving. Open heated containers away from you from back to front.
- Keep children away from the stove when cooking by using a safety gate for younger children and marking with tape a 3-foot “no-kid zone” for older children.
- Keep hot drinks away from the edge of tables and counters and avoid using tablecloths and placemats.
- Use a “travel mug” with a tight-fitting lid for all hot drinks.
- Never hold or carry a child while you have a hot drink in your hand.
For more information, visit: http://flashsplash.org/
It’s that time of year again! The Billerica Firefighters Local 1495 will be collecting toy donations in support of the Toys for Tots campaign this season! The Billerica Fire Department is an official Toys for Tots drop off location. Now through Christmas, new, unwrapped toys can be donated at any of the 5 fire stations in town. Your support is really needed this holiday season. For more information on the Toys for Tots campaign, please click here.
Open House – Saturday, October 10th, 2015 (11am-2pm)
The Billerica Fire Department invites local families to Fire Headquarters located at 8 Good St for an open house. The open house will allow you to meet your local firefighters, see your town’s fire apparatus, and learn ways to keep your family safe from fire! This event is for all ages. Free pizza and drinks will be provided. The first 100 children will also receive a free Billerica Fire hat!