The kitchen is the heart of the home, especially at Thanksgiving. Kids love to be involved in holiday preparations. Safety in the kitchen is important, especially on Thanksgiving Day when there is a lot of activity and people at home.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should stay 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
- Keep knives out of the reach of children.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave children alone in room with a lit a candle.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
Information provided by: NFPA and US Fire Administration
Burn candles inside a one foot “circle of safety”
Use candles in the center of an area one foot in every direction free of anything that can burn such as decorations, curtains that can blow around, and other items on a table or bureau. Use sturdy metal, glass, or ceramic candle holders that will not tip over.
Before you go out, blow it out
Most candle fires start when they are left burning unattended. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid using candles in the bedroom or in places where people may fall asleep.
Use candles out of reach of children and pets
Many candle fires are started when pets knock them over, or when children touch or play with them.
Teach everyone in the family the rules of safe candle use
Children, teenagers, grown-ups, and older adults should know the rules of safe candle use.
Keep all matches and lighters out of reach of children
Store in a high cabinet, preferably a locked one. You wouldn’t leave a loaded gun lying around and a lighter can be just as dangerous in a child’s hand.
Switch to flameless candles
To be safe, consider using flameless candles in your home. Have flashlights and battery powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
Candles contribute to fire deaths in the home.
Several people are killed, usually in their own homes, from candle fires each year. If medical oxygen is used in the home, do not use candles, matches, or open flames.
Information provided by: FireFactors - Office of the State Fire Marshal - www.mass.gov/dfs
This year daylight savings time ends at 2 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3. So when you get ready to turn your clocks back an hour, remember to replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Congratulations to the 6 Billerica Firefighters who completed the IAFF Hazardous Materials Technician training held in Boston this past week. This 80 hour training includes offensive procedures for mitigation of hazardous materials spills, leaks and exposures. Topics include chemistry, detection devices, advanced recognition and identification, pre-incident planning, incident management, scene evaluation and termination, terrorism, toxicology, medical surveillance, emergency care, PPE usage and limitations, and decontamination. Technician level training exceeds the required operational level training that all fire fighter recruits receive. With the addition of these 6 new HazMat techs, the Billerica Fire Department’s HazMat Response Team consists of 47 technicians.
Each year, a fundraiser is conducted to support the Billerica Firefighters Charitable Association. The Billerica Firefighters Charitable Association is a non-profit organization established with the goal of giving back to the community and is managed by members of the Billerica Firefighters IAFF Local 1495 on a voluntary basis. Due to your overwhelming generosity, the union has been able to make contributions to our community year after year.
It has been brought to our attention that residents are currently receiving telephone calls seeking donations on behalf of the charitable association. Currently, there are no active fundraising efforts underway. Please be aware that any active fundraising efforts will be publicized on the union’s website (www.billericafirefighters.org) as well as on our social media outlets including Facebook and Twitter. Questions regarding the legitimacy of any request for donations can be sent to email@example.com
Donations should not be made to the party calling residents at this time. If you wish to make a donation, they can be sent directly to the Billerica Firefighters Charitable Association at:
Billerica Fire Department
Attn: Union Office
8 Good Street
Billerica, MA 01821